Understanding Roles on a Treatment Team

Children with disabilities require a number of different health care providers and therapists to maintain and improve their health and functioning. Most disabilities cannot be “cured” or outgrown but treating the problems that affect your child can help improve functioning and quality of life. There are a variety of professionals and treatments that can help.

A pediatrician will usually serve as your child’s primary health care provider. He/she will refer you to other medical specialists as needed. You can also find out about medical providers from UCP Affiliates, recommendations from other families with children with disabilities, or contact your health plan or your local hospital, medical society, or medical school.

Developmental Pediatrician – Developmental pediatricians specialize in treating the health problems of children with developmental delays or handicaps.

Orthopedist – Orthopedists are doctors who specialize in treating the bones, muscles, tendons, and other parts of the skeletal system.

Neurologist – Neurologists are doctors who specialize in brain disorders and nervous system disorders.

Psychiatrist – Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental illnesses. Psychiatrists assess both the mental and physical aspects of psychological problems and they can prescribe medications.

Psychologist – Psychologists assess and treat complex mental and behavioral problems and are trained to help people cope more effectively with life problems. They can also administer tests to measure aptitude and/or deficits in cognitive functioning that may result from some sort of brain damage.

Social Worker – Social workers provide counseling services and help people access community resources.

Geneticist – Geneticists provide genetic testing, diagnose genetic conditions, communicate risks and discuss treatment options for people with genetic conditions. 

Speech Therapist – Speech and language therapists (also known as speech therapists or speech-language pathologists) observe, diagnose, and treat the communication disorders. They use a program of exercises to teach children how to overcome specific communication difficulties.

Occupational Therapist – An occupational therapist helps a child master the basic activities of daily living, such as eating, dressing, and using the bathroom alone. Fostering this kind of independence boosts self-reliance and self-esteem, and also helps reduce demands on parents and caregivers.

Physical Therapist – Physical therapy programs use specific sets of exercises and activities to improve movement and prevent further deterioration of the muscles and skeletal system.

Assistive Technology Specialist – AT specialists help individuals move about more easily and communicate successfully using special devices and technologies that can extend a person’s physical abilities.

Find Support

Connect with other parents about Early Intervention

Find Support

Visit the My Child Without Limits support community and talk to parents, caregivers, and professionals about their experiences with early intervention.


Are you trying to find an early intervention program for your child?

My Child Without Limits Resource Locator
Start Here

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center

National Child Care Information and Technical Assistance Center

Office of Head Start