Diagnoses Similar to Rett Syndrome

Some children with Rett syndrome may be diagnosed as having cerebral palsy, autism, angleman syndrome or global developmental delay before the clinical is recognized to be that of Rett syndrome.

In order to confirm (or eliminate) the clinical diagnosis of Rett syndrome, parents should consult a developmental pediatrician, genetics specialist or pediatric neurologist (a specialist in the nervous system and the disorders affecting it).

See How is Rett Syndrome Diagnosed for additional information.

Find Support

Have questions about Rett syndrome?

Visit the My Child Without Limits support community and talk to parents, caregivers, and professionals about their experiences with Rett syndrome.


Want to learn more about Rett syndrome?

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

International Rett Syndrome Foundation